Monday, March 03, 2008

Way Way out there

Having to pick my son up at 1:30 in the morning at his girlfriend’s house after his first semi-formal dance. He looked so grown up in his three-piece suit and new haircut. He really is growing up to fast and before long he will be away at college starting his adult life. God I hope I have done a good job. While reflecting on this fact and my two-year-old son started crying in his crib. Most times he will fuss for a few minute then go back to sleep. Not to night he starts calling “My mommy, my mommy” how could I do anything else but bring him out to be rocked. He snuggled in my arms and returned to a sound sleep or so I thought. While my daughter lays on the couch and watches a movie that I am to tired to know what is going on Ashton snuggles and seems to be so close to me that I believe I could stay up all night and rock him. I should never wish for something that though wonderful would make me a bear in the morning. I walk down the hall to lay him in his crib and he jumps up as if on springs and smiles and put his arms back out to. What to do? I do the only thing that I can; I pick him up and return to the rocking chair. With the 1:30 deadline approaching and my two year old awake I can do one of two things. I can leave him with my daughter and put her in the position of having a crying baby for the next twenty minutes or I can take him with me. I decide to dress him in his winter coat and load both the baby and Katie in the truck and head out. As we leave the drive way and head down the road the snow starts to fall. I say to my self “I’ll be home before it gets bad.” When dealing with the weather in Maine you should never utter those words. As we get closer to Orono the snow is falling fast and the wind picks up, blowing the snow around. The winds batter the truck and we start sliding from side to side. My daughter is getting nerves and tells me to stop I ask her what is wrong and she yells “you are all over the road.” I tell her I am only going where the wind is taking us. Well the wind blow us right into my son’s girlfriend’s drive way and he runs out with his friend close behind. The wind is so strong that I have to drive further into the driveway so he can grab the side and pull himself and his friend along. When they get in the door is blown off the hinges and went flying down the road. I told my son to get in and we would be home before long. Once we back out of the driveway or more like get blow out of it we start back to Old Town. When we get to the end of the road and try to turn left toward home the truck is blown right and we had no choice to go. I thought we could get the interstate and be home before long. When I reached the turn off the wind started blowing behind me and we were on our way to Bangor. I decided to stop fighting the wind and went along with it. Before I know it I was being blown into the parking lot of Denny’s. The doors blow open and the wind picked us up and we were taken in and sat in chairs around the table. We were given menus and ordered. It was fun to be out late with the kids. When we leave the restaurant the wind had died down and the door was back on the truck. We all looked at each other and started laughing.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

My damn storm door really did blow off its hinges last weekend, and no way out there about it--wham!

This is slick--a wonderful wizard-of-oz-tornado ending, with everyone fed and safe at home at last. Nice stuff.