Sunday, February 24, 2008

Theme Three

The crowd is going wide the Maine Black Bears are up 4-1 and it’s been a long time this season to waiting for the team to come together. The stands are full but not like most games where you feel like a sardine crammed in to a to small can. You have leg room and can even sit comfortable with you shoulders relaxed unless we have the puck in Umass’s zone and could score again or if Ben Bishop is to far out of the goal and the puck is in our zone. One thing that is the same is the loud mouth that is always behind or in front of you. Sometimes you just want to turn around or tap them on the shoulder and tell them that they are not the coach and that the players probably can’t hear them. Most times people don’t because we are civilized and all that. I do sometimes have a conversation with them in my head. This is our conversation during the game on Sunday.

Big mouth, “Get on point.”
Karen, “I wish I had some thing pointed to poke you with.”
Big mouth, “You are there to play defense.”
Karen, “They don’t get on a college team with out knowing what they are doing.”
Big mouth, “Jesus Christ, get back in the goal.”
Karen, “I’m with you there buddy.”
Big mouth, “What the fuck are they doing.”
Karen, “I will hunt you down if my two year old says fuck tomorrow.”
Big mouth, “Is there a coach down there?”
Karen, “Is there a brain in there?”
Big mouth, “They are going to blow it again.”
Karen, “if they do it’s because you’re sitting up here instead of in a uniform and on the ice mister know it all.”

Tonight we didn’t even get a break during intermission. He sat there and picked everything that had happened in the last period a part. He stood and clapped when they scored and when his but hit the seat again his mouth started picking everything apart again. This man wore a hockey jersey and hat and seemed to be a big fan, but what team needs a fan like this. I’m sure there were a few of us that would have paid him to stay home.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Funny--you and your best buddy, Big Mouth! I can still remember going to Colby hockey games in the mid sixties and there was a guy who was ALWAYS there and always screaming at the refs at the absolute deafening top of his lungs and always saying the exact same thing: (I'd put this in huge type if I could) ZIPPERHEAD, YOU FUCKING ZIPPERHEAD! ZIPPERHEAD!"

And I still don't know what a zipperhead is! I don't remember what my profs used to say, but I can still hear...ZIPPERHEAD!